Tamala Jones' Holiday Hosting Tricks
- Next1 of 10Glo
- Previous Next2 of 10Courtesy of farfetch.com
- Previous Next3 of 10Courtesy of farfetch.com
- Previous Next4 of 10Thinkstock
- Previous Next5 of 10Stockbyte/Thinkstock
- Previous Next6 of 10Thinkstock
- Previous Next7 of 10Courtesy of BurtsBees.com
- Previous Next8 of 10Thinkstock
- Previous Next9 of 10Thinkstock
- Previous Next10 of 10Burazin/Getty Images
- Tamala Jones' Holiday Hosting Tricks8 Winter Date Night Ideas
- Why I'm OK With Only One Child
- Schmoozing Tips for the Holiday Office Party
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- 8 Things Never to Say at Thanksgiving Dinner
- How to Get Your Kids to Stop Bickering
- Have an Adult Relationship With Your Parents
- Totally Inappropriate Vintage Holiday Cards
- 21 Books That Make Great Gifts
- Home-for-the-Holidays Survival Guide
- 10 Things to Watch, Read & Shop in December
- 10 Love Lessons Moms Should Teach Daughters
- How to Be More Outrospective
- The Passive Aggressive Giver's Gift Guide
- Sagittarius: Guide to Life, Love & Style
- 10 Mistakes Parents Make During the Holidays
- Veterans' Day trivia
- Our Favorite Men of Movember
- Best Relationship Advice From Country Music
Tamala-Jones_v031 of 10
Cooking Style2 of 10
"I never wear an apron," says Jones. "I always cook in leggings and a T-shirt." Her method is to prepare the food first, then clean up and get dressed before her guests arrive.
Maxed Out3 of 10
Jones says that when it comes to hosting attire, the lady of the house should always wear a maxi-dress. "It flows and makes you look like a true queen in your palace," she says. "I always try to wear a dark color, so if I spill anything, you can't see it." But Jones notes that it's always good to have a second change of clothes on standby just in case.
Mood Setter4 of 10
"I love fresh-cut flowers in my house. They are a must, along with plenty of candles," says Jones of her hosting decor. But for dressing up the table, she turns to Buddha. "Buddhas are my centerpieces year-round," she says. "During the holidays, I'll decorate around them with fresh pumpkin and squash. For Christmas, I love to place glitter or sequence candles near them."
You're Invited5 of 10
While paper invitations can be a nice touch and add a sense of formality, Jones suggests sending out e-vites instead when putting together a holiday soiree. "They're cost-effective and very pro-green," she says.
Party 9116 of 10
According to Jones, every host should have a kit filled with emergency-appropriate items, both for the actual and the fashion variety. Hers has "Pepto, Band-Aids, Neosporin, hydro-cortisone cream, safety pins, Icy Hot, hydrogen peroxide, a needle and thread, rubbing alcohol and eye drops."
Freshen Up7 of 10
To help guests feel at home, it's important to also have some beauty products and other necessities on hand for them to use when needed. "Every host should have Burt's Bees hand lotion, a candle, Kleenex, hair spray, mints and facial mist in their bathroom," says Jones.
Take A Nibble8 of 10
When it comes to hors d'oeuvres, Jones' hosting must-haves are four different wines, a fruit platter with strawberries and grapes, and a cheese and cracker platter. "If I happen to run out of wine, vodka and cranberry is always a good go-to beverage," she suggests.
Dish It Out9 of 10
"My rice cooker is my favorite cooking item because it gives me extra time so that I'm able to focus on perfecting the main course," says Jones. But while rice may be an easy side dish option, she'll still whip her signature homemade mac and cheese. "If I don't make it, I never hear the end of it from my guests," she says.
Just Desserts10 of 10
Jones advises keeping Nestlé Toll House cookie dough squares in your fridge. "They're always great to have around," she says. "You can pop them in the oven, and in 20 minutes, everybody's smiling."
- 10 Perfect Outfits For Awkward Situations
- 10 Gorgeous Gifts That Give Back to Charity
- DIY Tips for a Greener Holiday
- 6 DIY Wreaths That Are Cheap & Easy
- Why I'm OK With Only One Child
- Beauty Solutions For A Stress-Free Holiday
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway