The Art of Seduction
- Next1 of 19Glo
- Previous Next2 of 19Evgeniy Ivanov/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 19Crazy Stupid Love: Warner Bros./Photofest
- Previous Next4 of 19Thinkstock
- Previous Next5 of 19Up In The Air: Paramount Pictures/Photofest
- Previous Next6 of 19Thinkstock
- Previous Next7 of 19Bridesmaids: Universal Studios/Photofest
- Previous Next8 of 19Thinkstock
- Previous Next9 of 19Confessions of a Shopaholic: Photofest/Walt Disney Pictures
- Previous Next10 of 19Thinkstock
- Previous Next11 of 19Working Girl: 20th Century Fox/Photofest
- Previous Next12 of 19Thinkstock
- Previous Next13 of 19My Best Friend's Wedding: Sony Pictures Entertainment/Photofest
- Previous Next14 of 19Thinkstock
- Previous Next15 of 19Sex & The City: New Line Cinema/Photofest
- Previous Next16 of 19Thinkstock
- Previous Next17 of 19Crash: Fine Line Features/Photofest
- Previous Next18 of 19Thinkstock
- Previous Next19 of 19Sliding Doors: Miramax Films/Photofest
- The Art of Seduction9 Lies You Should Tell Yourself
- 10 Things Guys Really Do After a Breakup
- 10 Surprising Ways to Test Your Compatibility
- How to Stop Fighting With Your Spouse
- 12 Things Men Never Notice About Women
- 8 Books to Read Before Seeing the Movie
- What to Shop, Watch & Read in April
- Nighttime Rituals That Will Improve Your Day
- 8 Morning Rituals to Improve Your Entire Day
- Unorthodox Parenting Techniques That Work
- Creative Hobbies & Crafts to Inspire You
- How Birth Order Affects Your Relationships
- Surprising Ways to Spice Up Your Marriage
- 20 "Good" Mistakes You Made in Your 20s
- April Fools' Pranks to Play On Your Partner
- 11 Amazing Images & Moments From 1954
- Married and not over your ex? How to deal
- 10 Traits That Cheating Guys Have in Common
- Ken Looks Back at 53 Years of Barbie
Intro_v01b1 of 19
The Scenario2 of 19
You're at a bar waiting for a friend when a single man sitting a few seats over offers to buy you a drink. He's not your type and you don't want to lead him on, but at the same time, your friend is running late, and he seems normal enough.
Seductive Solution3 of 19
Accepting a drink from someone doesn't mean your time spent together has to last any longer than it takes to finish off the glass. Just a few small gestures can indicate that you're thankful, but just not that into him. "Look at him in the eyes when you smile, and don't show your teeth," advises Weldon. "Then touch a non-suggestive part of your body—an ear, your hair—and release it. Holding on indicates sexual interest, but letting go merely transmits curiosity."
The Scenario4 of 19
You're at the airport, running to catch your flight. You've got an overstuffed purse balanced on one arm and your coat on the other as you drag a suitcase just small enough to be a carry-on. Just as you're about to have a meltdown, you spot an able-bodied man headed in your direction.
Seductive Solution5 of 19
Make eye contact with the stranger and then look back at your luggage. A simple, "please" will likely communicate your request. "Be open and be appreciative about the fact that you're asking for a favor," says Wheldon. If the man tries to get too friendly, slyly drop the b-word: boyfriend.
The Scenario6 of 19
You get so caught up singing along to "All the Single Ladies" that you don't realize you're cruising way above the speed limit until a cop pulls you over.
Seductive Solution7 of 19
You don't have to pay for every mistake with the worst possible penalty. "Don't argue with the officer, and don't flirt," Weldon advises. "Chances are, he'll avoid eye contact with you, so put your fingers somewhere where he can see them, and hold them still. If you move your fingers, you're indicating anxiety or annoyance. If you keep them still, it means you're waiting." A little patience, assures Weldon, can go a long way. "If you're calm, he may decide not to give you a ticket."
The Scenario8 of 19
You're at a vintage shop and see a purse you love, but it's more than you want to pay. You hate to haggle, although this is one purchase you really don't want to miss out on.
Seductive Solution9 of 19
Weldon advises looking at the purse instead of the salesman as you approach. "Then breathe slowly, and don't say anything. Hold the breath, and repeat. The person will mimic your breathing pattern, and it will make them calmer," he says. Ask if there's room to negotiate on the price. Make him feel like he has the power. Most people like to be perceived as magnanimous. If he feels like it's his decision to make, then he's more likely to be flexible on the price.
The Scenario10 of 19
You're headed to a meeting with a bunch of alpha males at your company. You know from past meetings that they tend to tell inside jokes, talk over you and dismiss your opinions.
Seductive Solution11 of 19
"Pre-check yourself in the bathroom mirror before you walk into the room, and make sure everything you'd normally check is in line," advises Weldon. "If you look secure, everyone else will be intimidated." And, don't look at your cell phone. "Touching your phone makes you seem insecure and not present," she explains.
The Scenario12 of 19
You know your boyfriend's best female friend doesn't like you. You've tried to make conversation with her, but her answers are always short and brusque.
Seductive Solution13 of 19
"Find something that you like that she's wearing, and compliment her on it," says Weldon. "As you compliment, touch your face or hair in a non-sexual way, to express curiosity." But what if the girl thinks you're coming on to her? "Just because you're flirting with her doesn't mean you're sexually interested. You're just telling her you want her to like you."
The Scenario14 of 19
Your girlfriends are always complaining that they want to know your fiancé better. It's not that he doesn't want to hang out with them, it's just that… well, to be honest, he'd rather watch football.
Seductive Solution15 of 19
A little manipulation can go a long way. "Think about what he likes before you invite him," Weldon says. "And then sell a dinner out with the girls with some element of that in it—a new place that just opened, an impressive beer list. Smile when you say it, and touch his arm gently." If he still hesitates? "Don't look down and sigh," cautions Weldon, which might make him think you're annoyed.
The Scenario16 of 19
You're on your bike, and you feel your phone ring in your pocket. Normally, you wouldn't answer it, but you're waiting for a call about a potential job offer. Just as you're pulling over to answer it, BAM! You hit a middle-aged man with your front tire… albeit at 2 mph.
Seductive Solution17 of 19
"Once you ascertain that he's OK, say that he looks really familiar," advises Weldon. "If he thinks you might know him from somewhere, he'll be more cautious about behaving aggressively."
The Scenario18 of 19
You're riding the metro home, exhausted from a long day of work, and feel like you might be coming down with something. If you have to stand for another second, you're afraid you might collapse, but there's not a free seat in sight.
Seductive Solution19 of 19
"I would avoid touching a stranger to get his or her attention," warns Weldon. "Find a man in the car who doesn't have his eyes closed, and make eye contact. " When you catch his gaze smile weakly but sympathetically, and then readjust the purse on your shoulder. Hopefully, he'll pick up on the gesture and offer his seat.