What Her Hair Says About Her
- Next1 of 14Ke$ha: ELIOT PRESS/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next2 of 14Andie MacDowell: Bryan Bedder/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 14Reese Witherspoon: Kevin Mazur/WireImage
- Previous Next4 of 14Jennifer Aniston: AXELLE/BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM
- Previous Next5 of 14Anne Hathaway: Franco Origlia/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 14Kim Kardashian: ANDERSON/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next7 of 14Michelle Williams: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage
- Previous Next8 of 14Katie Holmes: CHRIS/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next9 of 14Jessica Alba: RACHPOOT/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next10 of 14Nicole Scherzinger: DISCIULLO/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next11 of 14Erykah Badu: Clayton Call/Redferns/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 14Amy Winehouse: BIG PICTURES/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next13 of 14Nicki Minaj: GF/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next14 of 14Ke$ha: ELIOT PRESS/bauergriffinonline.com
- What Her Hair Says About HerHow to Overcome a Creative Block
- 9 Lies You Should Tell Yourself
- 10 Things Guys Really Do After a Breakup
- 10 Surprising Ways to Test Your Compatibility
- Surprising Ways to Spice Up Your Marriage
- 12 Things Men Never Notice About Women
- 8 Books to Read Before Seeing the Movie
- 11 Amazing Images & Moments From 1954
- Nighttime Rituals That Will Improve Your Day
- 8 Morning Rituals to Improve Your Entire Day
- How to Stop Fighting With Your Spouse
- Creative Hobbies & Crafts to Inspire You
- How Birth Order Affects Your Relationships
- What to Shop, Watch & Read in April
- 20 "Good" Mistakes You Made in Your 20s
- April Fools' Pranks to Play On Your Partner
- Unorthodox Parenting Techniques That Work
- Married and not over your ex? How to deal
- 10 Traits That Cheating Guys Have in Common
Tress Lessons1 of 14
By Brett Smiley
A woman’s hairstyle puts her in a self-selected class and offers you some real information about her. (The same is true for men: My quarter-inch-long buzzed cut might tell you that I’m obscuring a receding hairline.) Here’s my take on what a lady’s locks may reveal about the woman herself.
Curly2 of 14
This style points to a low-maintenance, easygoing woman who wants to roll with her natural locks. The curly haired woman who spends hours poking her head with a hot iron is one who’s obviously not pleased with her hair and who might easily find fault elsewhere. Curls happen to suit many women very well.
Side-Swept Bangs3 of 14
A classy, professional look worn by motivated, career-oriented women, this style is more mature than full-fledged bangs that a teenager would wear but still makes a woman look youthful and playful. Celebrity wearers include Cameron Diaz, Reese Witherspoon, Jessica Biel and Jennifer Garner. That’s good company.
Classic Blowout4 of 14
The name sounds kind of menacing, but I’ve learned that the style is simply a “bouncy,” high-volume look. The ’do shows the woman’s whole face, which tells me she has a positive attitude and a nice complexion. Of course, I could just be saying that because this is my lovely girlfriend’s style, but I’m not.
French Twist5 of 14
This is a formal look and a popular choice for brides. If a woman is wearing it on a regular basis, she just might be itching for a ring. Pay attention, gentlemen.
Super Long6 of 14
Assuming she’s not wearing extensions, a woman with very long hair is simply afraid of change. She’s a sentimental type who wants to keep what’s been growing for however long. At the same time, long hair is also the look of choice for those glamorous centerfolds ... but there’s a difference between chest-length locks and a Ripley’s exhibit.
Pixie Cut7 of 14
This style is a far cry from G.I. Jane, but it still takes a truly beautiful and confident woman to pull this style off. A gal with short hair immediately calls attention to her face, and chances are she has high cheeks and killer eyes. Mind you, a lot of men are not attracted to this style, but of course, the woman who wears it probably doesn’t care what they think.
Low-Key Updo8 of 14
Without a picture, I couldn’t tell you what this looks like. With a picture, I can tell you it looks boring and old-fashioned, but not in a charming, rustic kind of way. Just plain, probably worn by a homebody. Maybe that’s why it’s called low-key.
Bob9 of 14
This is a playful, youthful style. Dangerously close to a Lego-man look, but in the flesh it’s definitely cute and fun. This style might be the territory of women who want a short style but decided that the pixie cut is too extreme.
Pigtails10 of 14
I can’t look at pigtails without recalling Britney Spears from the “Hit Me Baby One More Time” music video. Other popular pigtail-wearers hail from the adult film industry. So that’s the kind of company pigtailed gals will keep — in the male mind at least. Take it or leave it.
Afro11 of 14
Just like the curly haired woman, a gal with an Afro is proud of her natural locks and doesn’t seek to change it. It’s a strong, bold ’do, probably worn by a woman with the same qualities.
Beehive12 of 14
There’s a fine line with the beehive. Worn well and moderately, like Beyonce or Eva Longoria, it can look elegant. But once the hive gets too big, it looks cartoon-ish and messy … the kind of structure that would have actual bees swarming aimlessly inside.
Crazily Dyed13 of 14
This could go one of two ways — a free spirit, nonconformist with eclectic taste or someone potentially crazy who wants attention. The free spirit doesn’t care what you think and just happens to like a certain wacky color; the attention-craver wants to be the free spirit but really is not.
Feathered14 of 14
This one reminds me of an edgy rocker, or Meg Ryan. It’s intentionally choppy and haphazard-looking, kind of like a woman who got up late one morning with bedhead and decided to go with it. Not to say it can’t look good, but the style got its name for a reason.
- 11 Celeb Brands With Actual Style Cred
- Tricks for Cutting Your Makeup Routine in Half
- Lorde's Makeup Collaboration
- Creative Ways To Decorate With Houseplants
- 12 New Beauty Products With Slimming Perks
- 10 Things Guys Really Do After a Breakup
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds