Oh, No You Didn't
10 things never to say to a single mom
2. "How do you afford being a single parent?"
The answer? With a job, most likely. "I almost fell over when my neighbor asked how I can afford a nice townhouse and SUV as a single mom," says working mom *Lorraine. And she's not the only one doing the 9-to-5 thing. Recent census numbers show that half of all custodial single mothers work full-time year-round. That number jumps to 80% when you factor in part-time working single moms with custody. "How a woman spends her own income after her children's needs are met shouldn't come under scrutiny," says Carolyn Edgar, a New York City lawyer, writer and single mom. "In fact, the vast majority of single mothers are kicking butt in the workforce and don't receive government assistance." No matter how a single mom pays for her expenses, inquiring for specifics on how she does it is over the line. You wouldn't ask how a multi-income family affords their lifestyle, right?
ON WOMAN'S DAY: 9 Bad Habits that Are Good for You
More On MSN
- 10 Creative Braids You Have to See to Believe
- 11 Enviable Celebrity Bedrooms
- New Invention Helps You Read Faster
- 10 Things to Watch, Shop and Do in March
- 25 Unusual Outfit Details From Fashion Month
- 10 Budget Decorating Secrets
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Animal Finds