10 Perfect Outfits For Awkward Situations
- Next1 of 11Glo
- Previous Next2 of 11Courtesy of Topshop; Cami NYC; Shopbop
- Previous Next3 of 11Courtesy of Mango; Club Monaco; Asos
- Previous Next4 of 11Courtesy of Wallis; Dorothy Perkins; Barneys
- Previous Next5 of 11Courtesy of Reiss; TJ Maxx, Piperlime
- Previous Next6 of 11Courtesy of Mango; Asos; Piperlime
- Previous Next7 of 11Courtesy of Net-A-Porter; Bloomingdales; Neiman Marcus
- Previous Next8 of 11Courtesy of Intermix; Mango; Topshop
- Previous Next9 of 11Courtesy of Net-A-Porter; Piperlime; Neiman Marcus
- Previous Next10 of 11Courtesy of She Inside; RES Denim; Shopbop
- Previous Next11 of 11Courtesy of Zara; Dorothy Perkins; Asos
- 10 Perfect Outfits For Awkward SituationsBeauty Solutions For A Stress-Free Holiday
- Beauty Products That Work While You Sleep
- 9 Outfits Inspired By Favorite Holiday Movies
- ELLE Names Joan Smalls The New Supermodel
- Shopping: Irresistible Food-Inspired Fashion
- 9 Stylish Accessories To Make Life Easier
- 17 Fashion Rules You Should Break
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Colorful Finds
- 24 Wildest Looks From New York Fashion Week
- Best Street Style From New York Fashion Week
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- 18 Years of the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
- How to Be More Outrospective
- How To Dress Like Your Favorite Cartoon
- Street Style: The Best of London Fashion Week
- How To Dress Like TV's Most Stylish Character
- Wild Shoes from New York Fashion Week
- Shop 8 Dressy Crop-Top Celeb Looks
- 13 Models Famous For Their Beauty Quirks
Stay Cool1 of 11
By Tiffany Tse
Life is full of potentially awkward moments—seeing your ex (who's moved on already) at a party, trying to ID your blind date, showing up for a job interview overdressed. To help you be as prepared as possible, we teamed up with celebrity stylist Nicole Chavez and T.J.Maxx to come up with a couple outfit options for five tricky situations.
Blind Date2 of 11
Coffee Meet: "Blind dates are tough because you only get a second to make a great first impression," says Chavez. "Keep it classy and feminine—that usually gets a good response. Add pretty earrings to accentuate your face, since you'll be doing a lot of one-on-one communication."
Blind Date3 of 11
Drinks & Dinner: "Remember less is more, so leave a little to the imagination," says Chavez. "A great go-to option is that classic little black dress with a statement necklace or jeans and a chic top with killer heels. Find those pieces that make you feel feminine and flirty but not overt."
Raise Request4 of 11
Creative Office: Whether you're asking for a raise or promotion at work, "keep your look sharp and minimalist, as your outfit should signal your confidence and focus," says Chavez. "Wear a power color like red or navy that shows you mean business and always opt for solids."
Raise Request5 of 11
Corporate Office: "Distracting prints will take away from your conversation with your manager," says Chavez. "Go with great quality pieces such as heels or a sleek handbag to give you a polished look. You want to make sure you do the talking, not your outfit."
Ex Run-In6 of 11
Happy Hour: "My advice is to cinch that waist, accent your favorite feature and really play up what you love about yourself," says Chavez. "Get out there and shine."
Ex Run-In7 of 11
Nightclub: "You have to bring it all the way from head to toe," says Chavez. "Don't wear anything that's going to make you feel more self-conscious. When you feel confident, you'll exude confidence, which is very attractive."
SHOP NOW: By Malene Birger Kafi lace-trimmed crepe camisole, $193, net-a-porter.com; J Brand mid rise super skinny, $218, bloomingdales.com; Sam Edelman Alena strappy suede & metallic sandal, $130, neimanmarcus.com
Job Interview8 of 11
Entry-Level Job: "A sleek pencil skirt, silk blouse and a great pair of heels are a great base that you can accessorize to express your personality," says Chavez.
Job Interview9 of 11
Executive Position: "A job interview starts with your appearance," says Chavez. "You want to portray confidence and make a lasting impression with your potential employer. Wear an outfit that shows your individuality but also comes off as professional."
Meet The Parents10 of 11
Casual Brunch: "When meeting your boyfriend's family for the first time you want to come off as approachable," says Chavez. "A great option is jeans and a blazer. You can play up your personal style with a statement necklace or a great pair of leather boots."
Meet The Parents11 of 11
Holiday Party: "It's really important when you are doing anything out of your comfort zone to wear what you feel comfortable in," says Chavez. "You want to make a good first impression. It's better to cover up—this isn't the time to put the girls on display. I think there's something nice about bringing in a little bit of color too."
- 16 Wedding Gowns For Under $500
- Incredible Firsts for Women in the 21st Century
- Buy Lupita's Headband for $58
- Famous people who used to be cheerleaders
- How to Get Fashion Week's Prettiest Nails
- The 10 Germiest Spots You're Not Cleaning
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Animal Finds