A Modest Proposal
Why covered-up is the new sexy
- "Coco Before Chanel": Sony Pictures Classics/Photofest
My hips want to go shopping again. For the past few seasons, they have hissed at the parade of miniskirts, tourniquet sheaths and stovepipe pants waltzing down the runway. Never mind merciless skinny jeans. In fact, it seemed like every designer was conspiring against women with the audacity to give birth or age in the past three decades.
At 43 with a 10-month-old daughter underfoot, I was starting to feel the cold, gaunt shoulder of fashion.
Luckily, the fall collections have given me reason to rejoice. The new trend is all about covering up, with shin-grazing skirts, wide-legged pants and enveloping anoraks. Full disclosure: As a lifelong preppy, I have never met a turtleneck that I didn't like. And as I get older, this notion of showing less skin becomes that much more appealing.
More On MSN
- 10 Creative Braids You Have to See to Believe
- 11 Enviable Celebrity Bedrooms
- New Invention Helps You Read Faster
- 10 Things to Watch, Shop and Do in March
- 25 Unusual Outfit Details From Fashion Month
- 10 Budget Decorating Secrets
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Animal Finds