14 Striking Fur Fashion Moments
- Next1 of 15Keystone/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 15Warner Bros. Pictures/Photofest
- Previous Next3 of 15Frank Worth, Courtesy of Emage International/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 15MGM/Photofest
- Previous Next5 of 15Max B. Miller/Fotos International/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 15Evening Standard/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 15Mondadori Portfolio/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 15Potter/Express/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 15Keystone/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 15Max B. Miller/Fotos International/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 15Keystone/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 15Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 15Time Life Pictures/DMI/Time Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next14 of 15Ron Galella/WireImage
- Previous Next15 of 15Justin Goff/UK Press/Getty Images
Fur Fever1 of 15
By Sara Tan
While some trends come and go (we're looking at you, mesh), fur has stuck around. Over the years, icons from Marilyn Monroe to Madonna have embraced fur, and the luxe look is one of fall's biggest trends as well. Even if you're not an advocate of wearing the real thing, there's no doubt that the fuzzy textile has played a key role in fashion. Take a look back at our favorite fur moments, and shop similar faux pieces to get the look.
Scene Stealer2 of 15
While Joan Crawford's performance in the 1945 film Mildred Pierce scored her an Academy Award, there's no question that the actress's fur coat also stole the show.
White Haute3 of 15
Diamonds may have been her best friend, but Marilyn Monroe also had a penchant for luxurious fur. Here, the actress was spotted in 1957 at Hollywood nightspot Ciro's, as owner Herman Hover helped her cover her shoulders.
Hat Trick4 of 15
In the 1965 movie Doctor Zhivago, Julie Christie made the cold Russian winter look somehow glamorous, thanks to her furry Cossack hat. For a similar style, try ASOS' faux chapeau.
Think Mink5 of 15
Natalie Wood wasn't nominated for an Oscar in 1966, but the actress dressed like a winner, wearing a sumptuous mink coat to the Academy Awards.
Get Cozy6 of 15
Elizabeth Taylor epitomized Old Hollywood glamour and was often photographed swathed in fur. Rumor has it that she once walked into Bergdorf Goodman to order 200 pairs of mink earmuffs as holiday gifts.
Floor It7 of 15
Even when she was shrouded in a floor-length fur coat in Milan circa 1960, French singer Francoise Hardy's signature bangs and high cheekbones make her completely recognizable. Get her look in Miss Selfridge's cozy, fully lined faux fur coat.
Model Behavior8 of 15
A young Twiggy modeled an oversize furry coat in 1966, but today she often speaks out against designers using real fur.
On the Edge9 of 15
Marianne Faithfull was a fixture of the '60s, famous for her voice, dating Mick Jagger and her bohemian ensembles, which included plenty of leather and fur. Steal her look in Alice + Olivia's short furry jacket.
Grand Entrance10 of 15
Arriving at the 1973 Golden Globes, the decade's golden couple Sonny and Cher made quite a contrast, with him in a traditional tuxedo and her wearing a decadent fur coat over a midriff-baring two-piece.
Showstopper11 of 15
A fox fur coat screams eye-catching drama, which is exactly what Bianca Jagger was aiming for at a Christian Dior couture fashion show in Paris circa 1977.
Bundled Up12 of 15
Olivia Newton-John's plush fur getup is a far cry from her Sandra Dee days. The Australian actress looked like a Siberian queen when photographed outside London's Savoy hotel in 1980.
Hats Off13 of 15
Model, actress and singer Grace Jones was known for her adventurous outfit choices, like this colorful Cossack hat and matching shawl she wore in the late '80s.
Material Girl14 of 15
Fresh from her performance at the 1991 Academy Awards, Madonna showed up at the afterparty in the same glamorous outfit she wore onstage: plenty of jewels, a plunging gown and a plush white boa, similar to this affordable faux version by Milanoo.
Foxy Lady15 of 15
With a fur jacket draped over her slinky dress, Kate Moss looked every bit the party girl in this 2002 snapshot. Snag her look for your next night out in Line & Dot's furry cover-up.
- 11 Celeb Brands With Actual Style Cred
- Tricks for Cutting Your Makeup Routine in Half
- Lorde's Makeup Collaboration
- Creative Ways To Decorate With Houseplants
- 12 New Beauty Products With Slimming Perks
- 10 Things Guys Really Do After a Breakup
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds