Behind the Scenes of the ELLE Cover Shoot
- Next1 of 17Glo
- Previous Next2 of 17Photo: Carter Smith; styled by Joe Zee
- Previous Next3 of 17Photo: Carter Smith; styled by Joe Zee
- Previous Next4 of 17Photo: Carter Smith; styled by Joe Zee
- Previous Next5 of 17Photo: Carter Smith; styled by Joe Zee
- Previous Next6 of 17Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage
- Previous Next7 of 17Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous Next8 of 17Albert L. Ortega/GettyImages
- Previous Next9 of 17Noel Vasquez/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 17Venturelli/WireImage
- Previous Next11 of 17VALERIE MACON/AFP/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 17Alexandra Wyman/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 17Victor Chavez/WireImage
- Previous Next14 of 17Victor Chavez/WireImage
- Previous Next15 of 17Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous Next16 of 17Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous Next17 of 17Kevin Mazur/TCA 2011/WireImage
INTRO_Selena_Gomez_vo61 of 17
Sun Shine2 of 17
Creative Director Joe Zee decided to play dress up with Gomez in everything from YSL to Balmain to Dolce & Gabbana (seen here).
On being the first Latina to lead a Disney TV series: "Growing up, [teen idols] were all blond, with light-colored eyes. I didn't realize how important it was to represent my background until parents of Latin descent started coming up to me. Then it clicked. I can represent a different generation and a different culture."
Real World3 of 17
NARS lipstick in Jungle Red was used to give Gomez a fire-red lip.
On growing up poor: "I can remember when our car got stuck on the highway because we'd run out of gas money." Still, her mother "saved up to take me to concerts. She took me to museums, aquariums, to teach me about the world, about what's real."
Love Bug4 of 17
On set, Gomez was easy-going and really sweet—the Biebs is one lucky guy.
On Bieber renting out L.A.'s Staples Center for a private screening of Titanic: "If I'll share anything with you, it's that he really is a hopeless romantic. I had just mentioned it in the car—all I said is that I really want to see Titanic again, and then…"
ON ELLE: Justin Bieber's Top Style Moments
Star Struck5 of 17
For a day of fun in the sun, Joe Zee went for easy, yet youthful pieces to keep the star age-appropriate yet chic.
On seeing Jennifer Lopez in Selena at age 5: "I made a bustier out of a bathing suit that I dyed black. I put glue and glitter all over it, and I wouldn't take it off."
ON ELLE: Amazing Celebrity Engagement Rings
Two Timing6 of 17
The two-piece Dolce & Gabbana look Gomez wore to the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards gave the young star a fresh image on the red carpet. We think that if you've got it, flaunt it!
ON ELLE: The Most Beautiful People in America
Silver Belle7 of 17
Another Dolce & Gabbana choice, this time for the Vanity Fair Oscar Party, showed a more demure side to the actress, who opted for a retro hairstyle with her intricately beaded gown.
Short Cut8 of 17
Showing off her gams in an ivory tulle Marchesa minidress, Gomez kept it sweet for the MTV Europe Music Awards.
Courtside Courtship9 of 17
A lace tank and super-sleek hair made a certain half of this teen power couple an effortless beauty.
Street Chic10 of 17
In super-small black shorts and a flowy white top, Gomez showed off her edgier side at a movie premiere.
Retro Fit11 of 17
Looking Old Hollywood beautiful at the American Music Awards, the multitalented performer dazzled in a plunging pewter Giorgio Armani gown.
Knit Wit12 of 17
Gomez looked like the girl next door we all know and love in a hole-punch sweater, gray leggings and a colorful knit scarf.
Go Streaking13 of 17
The young star revealed her playful side with blue and purple streaked hair, perfect for gaining attention with a little attitude.
Stage Rage14 of 17
When in concert, the singer does a more theatrical look. A crystal-studded body suit and cobalt blue dress made for an entertaining show in Mexico City.
Black in Action15 of 17
At the MTV Video Music Awards, Gomez showed that black doesn't have to be boring. Her vampy lace ensemble was a look from Brit designer Julien Macdonald.
Dark Angel16 of 17
A sparkly black top, black suede mini, and T-strap heels gave the actress a grown-up look for the Los Angeles premiere of Abduction. Although, we think her greatest accessory was her beau, Justin Bieber.
Look of Love17 of 17
While this lady's love was stylish in his own right, Gomez showed off a lacy dove-gray minidress and hot pink nails at the Teen Choice Awards.
- Jennifer Aniston's stylist reveals all
- Remake these lavish floral displays at home
- The best news we've heard all week
- How to Raise a Confident Daughter
- 17 worst things to say in a wedding speech
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Bedtime Finds
- The hit songs and swimsuits of summer