Cheat Sheet: Fall Shoe Shopping Made Simple
- Next1 of 11Courtesy of J.Crew/Topshop
- Previous Next2 of 11Courtesy of ASOS
- Previous Next3 of 11Courtesy of ModCloth
- Previous Next4 of 11Courtesy of Seychelles
- Previous Next5 of 11Courtesy of The Outnet
- Previous Next6 of 11Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous Next7 of 11Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous Next8 of 11Courtesy of Zappos
- Previous Next9 of 11Courtesy of J.Crew
- Previous Next10 of 11Courtesy of The Outnet
- Previous Next11 of 11Courtesy of Nasty Gal
- Cheat Sheet: Fall Shoe Shopping Made SimpleAnd Pantone's 2014 Color of the Year Is...
- 9 Hottest Celeb Bikini Trends This Winter
- ELLE Names Joan Smalls The New Supermodel
- 9 Outfits Inspired By Favorite Holiday Movies
- 15 Kids' Gifts That Are Secretly for You
- Celeb Looks For All Your Holiday Parties
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway
- 12 Must-Haves From Isabel Marant for H&M
- 7 Best Friends (& Bloggers) With Polar Styles
- Backstage at the Victoria's Secret Show 2013
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- The 20 Best of Street Style Looks of 2013
- 11 Best Shopping Sites You've Never Heard Of
- Shopping Guide: 7 Fringe Boots To Buy Now
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Sparkly Finds
- The Sexy & Sophisticated Way to Show Some Skin
- Statement Jewelry for Everyone on Your List
- Jamie Chung's Cute Winter Style Under $200
- The Celeb Winter Trend To Try Now
Kicks-tionary1 of 11
By Melissa Magsaysay
Forget stacked heels, gladiators and stilettos. This season's trends require learning some new shoe lingo. Find out the difference between a monk strap and a Mary Jane, and what the heck a lug sole is with our fall shoe-shopping cheat sheet.
Cuban Heel2 of 11
A common feature on fall's stylish ankle boots, the blocky Cuban heel, made widely popular by The Beatles, boasts tapered sides and a medium height. If you're after a comfortable shoe that offers a little boost, you found it.
SHOP NOW: ASOS Audio leather ankle boots, $116, asos.com
D'Orsay3 of 11
D'Orsay refers to the cut of the shoe, with sides that are cut away to reveal the arch of the foot. This feminine silhouette, found in both heels and flats, works great for the office in a subdued neutral color.
SHOP NOW: ModCloth design competition heel, $73, modcloth.com
Oxford4 of 11
Traditionally a men's lace-up shoe, the oxford falls right in line with this season's borrowed-from-the-boys trend. Look for a pair in a rich color and luxurious fabric, which tones down the masculine feel.
SHOP NOW: BC Footwear Throw Your Hands Up saddle shoe, $80, nordstrom.com
Lug Sole5 of 11
The treaded rubber sole, first spotted on mountaineering boots, is reminiscent of this season's big '90s grunge trend. These sturdy, heavy-duty shoes are perfect for braving the elements.
SHOP NOW: Marni lug-sole leather loafer, $260, theoutnet.com
Mary Jane6 of 11
Closed-toe Mary Janes (as they've been called since the early 1900s) may be associated with little girls' shoes, but this season they get a sexy, futuristic twist that suits grown-up sensibilities.
SHOP NOW: Topshop Janet Mary Janes, $75, topshop.com
Brogue7 of 11
Like an oxford, a brogue is generally a flat lace-up, but the style also features an intricate pattern of small, perforated holes. A flashy metallic pair would add instant glamour to your weekend uniform.
SHOP NOW: Topshop kestral razor-sole shoes, $115, topshop.com
Penny Loafer8 of 11
Like any loafer, this style has no buckles or straps, but does contain a unique slot originally designed to hold a penny—possibly because it cost two cents to make an emergency phone call in the 1930s. Whatever the reason, this fall, the preppy staple is enjoying a resurgence, thanks to its androgynous appeal and polished look.
SHOP NOW: Cole Haan Monroe deconstructed shoe, $108, 6pm.com
Chelsea Boot9 of 11
You can spot a Chelsea boot by its fitted ankle opening and elastic sides. First worn by horseback riders during the Victorian era, the shoe later became a part of the 1960s mod look. Today, wear the boots with blue jeans and a tailored blazer for an equestrian-inspired outfit.
SHOP NOW: J.Crew Chelsea boots, $268, jcrew.com
Monk Strap10 of 11
Characterized by a strap and buckle that crosses over the top of the foot, this style gets its name from the Roman monks from the Middle Ages who wore them. Known for their ease and versatility, try them with a pleated skirt and sweater.
SHOP NOW: Alexander Wang ruby ribbed suede monk-strap brogues, $191, theoutnet.com
Thigh-High Hybrid11 of 11
It's not an official name (yet!), but thigh-high boots attached to cutout high heels were all over the fall runways. Paired with a long-sleeve mini, these Nasty Gal hybrids certainly make a strong, sexy statement.
SHOP NOW: Nasty Gal Avril thigh-high boot with cutouts, $172, nastygal.com
- Totally Unexpected Ways To Sparkle This Season
- Why I'm OK With Only One Child
- Win $3,500 Worth of Gifts
- Beauty Solutions For A Stress-Free Holiday
- Schmoozing Tips for the Holiday Office Party
- And Pantone's 2014 Color of the Year Is...
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway