For the Love of Stripes
- Next1 of 21Glo
- Previous Next2 of 21Baron/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 21Courtesy of Piperlime
- Previous Next4 of 21Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 21Courtesy of L.L. Bean
- Previous Next6 of 21Loomis Dean/Time Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 21Courtesy of Equipment
- Previous Next8 of 21Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 21Courtesy of YOOX
- Previous Next10 of 21Express/Express/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 21Courtesy of Net A Porter
- Previous Next12 of 21Richard Corkery/NY Daily News Archive via Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 21Courtesy of Motel Rocks
- Previous Next14 of 21Popperfoto/Getty Images
- Previous Next15 of 21Courtesy of Juicy Couture
- Previous Next16 of 21ABC Photo Archives/ABC via Getty Images
- Previous Next17 of 21Courtesy of J. Crew
- Previous Next18 of 21Ron Galella/WireImage
- Previous Next19 of 21Courtesy of Nasty Gal
- Previous Next20 of 21Harry Benson/Getty Images
- Previous Next21 of 21Courtesy of Piperlime
Unknown1 of 21
Some Like It Hot2 of 21
Monroe managed to make just about everything she wore look sexy—and stripes were no exception.
Some Like It Hot3 of 21
Channel the bombshell in a striped body-con number that looks best paired with opaque black tights.
SHOP NOW: DV Dolce Vita, $90
French Dressing4 of 21
The classic striped nautical top was never worn better than by Jean Seberg in the stylish '60s film Breathless.
French Dressing5 of 21
Bring the chic French flair to any look with a slouchy striped top.
SHOP NOW: L.L. Bean French sailor’s shirt, $30
Class Act6 of 21
In a striped button-down, Grace Kelly exuded effortless sophistication and style.
Class Act7 of 21
A silk blouse with narrow, vertical stripes is destined to become a wardrobe staple.
SHOP NOW: Equipment Signature slim-striped Black-and-white blouse, $248
Golden Girl8 of 21
Actress Catherine Deneuve dons an embellished striped gown for the Cannes Film Festival in 1966.
Golden Girl9 of 21
Stripes work for an evening affair as well, particularly with a form-fitting sheath of shimmering sequins.
SHOP NOW: MICHAEL Michael Kors short dress, $130
She's a Lady10 of 21
British model Jean Shrimpton posed in a wide-striped feminine dress that was the perfect mix of sporty and sweet.
She's a Lady11 of 21
Steal her look with this modern-day version of the striped sundress.
SHOP NOW: Camilla and Marc Bastille striped crepe dress, $560
Disco Fever12 of 21
In 1983, the legendary Diana Ross paired stripes with stripes for a Staying Alive bash.
Disco Fever13 of 21
Shimmy your stripes onto the dance floor in a pair of high-waist skintight jeans with retro rock-star style.
SHOP NOW: Motel Skinny Jordan jean, $90
Slumber Party14 of 21
Take a cue from Italian screen siren Sophia Loren and don the trend even while lounging around.
Slumber Party15 of 21
These silky, slim-cut PJs offer a classic, sophisticated take on sleepwear.
SHOP NOW: Juicy Couture striped shirt and pants, $98 and $78
Game On16 of 21
Get an effortlessly athletic look a la Peggy Lipton with a wide-stripe cotton top done in shades of tomboy blue.
Game On17 of 21
Thanks to traditional rugby shirts, wider stripes feel immediately sporty.
SHOP NOW: J. Crew boatneck painter tee, $35
Ready to Rock18 of 21
In the early '80s, Debbie Harry made preppy stripes more punk.
Ready to Rock19 of 21
Pair your stripes with a lightweight distressed top that's perfect for layering over a colorful tank—and keeping you cool on the dance floor.
SHOP NOW: Nasty Gal shredded stripes knit, $41
Boho Sleek20 of 21
Black-and-white stripes add some graphic appeal to a flowy shape, as seen on Jacqueline Bissett back in '68.
Boho Sleek21 of 21
This striped batwing top is a subtle way to go hippie chic.
SHOP NOW: Parker striped batwing top, $95
NEXT GALLERY: Great Holiday Style Finds for Under $100