How to Wear Plaid With Everything
- Next1 of 17Tory Burch; Jonatha Saunders; Clements Ribeiro (F/W 2012): Imaxtree
- Previous Next2 of 17Courtesy of Tibi
- Previous Next3 of 17Courtesy of NET-A-PORTER
- Previous Next4 of 17Courtesy of Piperlime
- Previous Next5 of 17Courtesy of Tibi; NET-A-PORTER; Piperlime
- Previous Next6 of 17Courtesy of Equipment
- Previous Next7 of 17Courtesy of Joie
- Previous Next8 of 17Courtesy of Shopbop
- Previous Next9 of 17Courtesy of Equipment; Joie; Shopbop
- Previous Next10 of 17Courtesy of J.Crew
- Previous Next11 of 17Courtesy of NET-A-PORTER
- Previous Next12 of 17Courtesy of Piperlime
- Previous Next13 of 17Courtesy of J.Crew; NET-A-PORTER; Piperlime
- Previous Next14 of 17Courtesy of LaGarconne
- Previous Next15 of 17Courtesy of NET-A-PORTER
- Previous Next16 of 17Courtesy of Rebecca Taylor
- Previous Next17 of 17Courtesy of LaGarconne; NET-A-PORTER; Rebecca Taylor
- How to Wear Plaid With Everything9 Hottest Celeb Bikini Trends This Winter
- ELLE Names Joan Smalls The New Supermodel
- 9 Outfits Inspired By Favorite Holiday Movies
- Simplify Your Look & Your Life in 2014
- Celeb Looks For All Your Holiday Parties
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Holiday Giveaway
- Shopping Guide: 7 Fringe Boots To Buy Now
- 7 Best Friends (& Bloggers) With Polar Styles
- Backstage at the Victoria's Secret Show 2013
- Statement Jewelry for Everyone on Your List
- The 20 Best of Street Style Looks of 2013
- 11 Best Shopping Sites You've Never Heard Of
- 15 Kids' Gifts That Are Secretly for You
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Sparkly Finds
- The Sexy & Sophisticated Way to Show Some Skin
- 12 Must-Haves From Isabel Marant for H&M
- Jamie Chung's Cute Winter Style Under $200
- The Celeb Winter Trend To Try Now
- The Best Dresses from Miss Universe 2013
Checks & Balances1 of 17
By Nicole Mann Novick
Once the domain of Scotsmen and lumberjacks, plaid is now pretty, whimsical and popping with color. The secret to making the classic print more modern? Pairing it with unexpected pieces. Get ready to play mix-and-match with these plaid looks.
Check Mate2 of 17
Traditional tartan gives this season's cropped pants plenty of prep.
SHOP NOW: Tibi pants, $330
Petal Pusher3 of 17
Mixing prints is a modern way to wear plaid pants. Try a top with a feminine pattern and complementing hues.
SHOP NOW: Girl. By Band of Outsiders blouse, $295
Be Dazzled4 of 17
A knockout statement necklace gives conventional trousers a contemporary twist.
SHOP NOW: Pim + Larkin necklace, $58
Voilà!5 of 17
This casual cool outfit is perfect for transitioning from the office to after work drinks.
Check Me Out6 of 17
The typical plaid button-down gets glamorous with luxurious silk.
SHOP NOW: Equipment shirt, $248
Red Haute7 of 17
When paired with a rugged plaid print, lace pants are elegant and unexpected.
SHOP NOW: Joie pants, $268
Carried Away8 of 17
An exotic and polished purse takes plaid print from day to night.
SHOP NOW: Juicy Couture bag, $348
Easy as 1, 2, 39 of 17
Combining multiple textures in a single shade makes for a look that's pulled-together, without being overly matchy-matchy.
Gold Standard10 of 17
Plaid goes from prim to posh when ladylike flats get a golden lift.
SHOP NOW: J.Crew flats, $248
Fit to Print11 of 17
Choose a top with graphic print in in colors that won't overpower the dynamic plaid pair.
SHOP NOW: Marc by Marc Jacobs, $280
Honor Roll12 of 17
We love the look of feminine flats with casual denim. Try a rolled-up style with a worn in-wash to give ultra-luxe flats added contrast.
SHOP NOW: Current/Elliott jeans, $228
A Shoe In13 of 17
With plaid flats, this date night ensemble packs plenty of personality.
Skirt the Issue14 of 17
Classic black-and-brown makes a midcalf pleated skirt a transitional wardrobe staple.
SHOP NOW: Steven Alan skirt, $248
Tip Top15 of 17
A feminine blouse with peplum detail keeps the ladylike look in check.
SHOP NOW: Theyskens' Theory top, $295
Warm Up16 of 17
Try a luxe belted coat with less structure to add ease to the classic skirt.
SHOP NOW: Rebecca Taylor skirt, $650
Full Picture17 of 17
Stay stylish—but also cozy—in this bundled up outfit.