Style Evolution: Princess Diana
- Next1 of 25Fox Photos/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 25Central Press/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 25Central Press/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 25Princess Diana Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 25Thomas/Popperfoto/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 25Princess Diana Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 25Princess Diana Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next14 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next15 of 25David Levenson/Getty Images
- Previous Next16 of 25JOHNNY EGGITT/Getty Images
- Previous Next17 of 25Princess Diana Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next18 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next19 of 25David Levenson/Getty Images
- Previous Next20 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next21 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next22 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next23 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next24 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Previous Next25 of 25Tim Graham/Getty Images
- Style Evolution: Princess Diana13 Totally Life-Changing Beauty Innovations
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- A History of Women and Underarm Hair
- Beauty Tips From A Supermodel-Turned-Actress
- Why Every Woman Should Be Using A Facial Oil
- Outrageous Makeup Looks Only Bloggers Will Try
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds
- Ombre Nails How-To
- Your Ultimate Guide to At-Home Self-Tanners
- Gotta Have It: Daily Animal Finds
- 19 Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life
- 8 Skin Mistakes You Don't Know You're Making
- What Your Blowout Style Says About You
- Gotta Have It
- What Guys Think Of 10 Spring Hair Trends
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds
- 12 Most Outrageous Brow Trends Ever
- Spring Nail Colors Inspired By Chick Flicks
- 12 Ways To Look Prettier In Under 30 Seconds
July 19811 of 25
With all the excitement surrounding William and Kate's wedding, we couldn't help but think of his mother, Diana, and how she looked on her wedding day...and all the days that came after. Here's a look back at the evolution of her style.
January 19702 of 25
Young Diana Spencer seemed to have a touch of tomboy style, especially on the croquet court.
January 19713 of 25
We can't get enough of Di's hat. It's the sort of understated chic that she worked hard to maintain, even during her most ceremonial of public appearances.
June 19814 of 25
Here she looks less like a princess-to-be and more like a girl you might have gone to high school with.
November 19815 of 25
A more formal Diana emerged once she married Charles. Her coats and hats soon became national (and international) news.
January 19826 of 25
Wow. Maternity style sure has come a long way since Diana was pregant with William.
December 19827 of 25
Velvet, feathers and a veil. It's all so very British, in the best way.
April 19838 of 25
We are always and forever impressed by a real-deal crown.
August 19839 of 25
Holy high fashion, princess! The fashion-lover that Diana became later in her life started emerging with this ultra-chic outfit.
July 198410 of 25
We're guessing column dress sales went through the roof at Harrods after Di wore this pink number.
March 198511 of 25
This feels very Belle in Beauty and the Beast, no? Maybe the illustrators used this dress for inspiration. And check out those gold shoes!
May 198512 of 25
Now that is a whole lot of collar, teal and plaid. There are some things about the '80s that we certainly don't miss.
July 198513 of 25
Here Diana shows off her glitzy side on the red carpet. And we daresay she looked like she was enjoying herself.
November 198514 of 25
The princess was the picture of elegance in a long, black gown during her very famous dance with John Travolta.
November 198515 of 25
Hats like this make us wish these statement-makers were more popular in America.
November 198516 of 25
She may have been a princess, but Diana worked out just like other ladies of the '80s...in bike shorts.
January 198617 of 25
Throughout her international travels, Diana was lucky to collect many fashions and prints native to the countries she visited.
May 198618 of 25
Diana usually kept her hairstyles quite simply. This is one of the few times we saw her with a hair accessory that wasn't a hat or a crown.
November 198619 of 25
As much as we loved seeing her gussied up in fashion's finest, the relaxed and comfortably dressed Di here looks so much happier.
November 198720 of 25
We applaud the color coordination of the dress, the hose, the gloves and the shoes.
March 198821 of 25
Even while vacationing in the mountains, princesses must look their best—as evidenced here by besties Diana and Fergie.
March 199322 of 25
Maybe Diana doubled up on the denim because she got to wear it so infrequently. Sidenote: How cute and tiny do Wills and Harry look?
September 199523 of 25
During the last few years of her life, Diana embraced a sexier style, and the world loved it.
November 199524 of 25
Perhaps it was friends like the late designer Gianni Versace who helped Di feel comfortable showing some leg.
June 199725 of 25
Taken just months before her death, this happy glowing Di in a gorgeous blue cocktail dress is one of the ways we'll always remember her.