Your biggest style stumpers—solved!
- Next1 of 10Glo
- Previous Next2 of 10Courtesy of Briana H.
- Previous Next3 of 10Courtesy of Courtney D.
- Previous Next4 of 10Courtesy of Natasha B.
- Previous Next5 of 10Courtesy of Kelly M.
- Previous Next6 of 10Courtesy of Megan M.
- Previous Next7 of 10Courtesy of Jennifer P.
- Previous Next8 of 10Courtesy of Laura B.
- Previous Next9 of 10Courtesy of Laura C.
- Previous Next10 of 10Courtesy of Charlotte B.
- Your biggest style stumpers—solved!10 Ways To Refresh Your White Button-Down
- 12 Spring Swimsuits To Buy Right Now
- 12 Festival Outfits Inspired By Celebrities
- 8 Bargain Shopping Tricks You've Never Tried
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds
- 11 Creative Outfits For In-Between Weather
- Gotta Have It
- 10 Best Style Quotes Of All Time
- Gotta Have It: Daily Animal Finds
- Affordable Wedding Shoes You Can Wear Again
- Elle Cover: Miley Cyrus Opens Up
- 9 Ways To Match Without Looking Cheesy
- 10 Closet Cleaning Mistakes To Avoid This Spring
- Modeling agency puts personality ahead of thinness
- Glo's Latest Obsession: Daily Floral Finds
- 11 Ways Fashion Is Going Futuristic
- How Celebs Dress 10 Pounds Thinner
- Elle Cover: See Emma Watson's Style Takeover
- Your guide to the fall 2014 color trends
Make It Work1 of 10
By Natasha Burton
A jacket, shirt or skirt makes you swoon in the store, but months later it's still hanging in your closet with the tags still on. Sound familiar? Stylist and founder of Saucy Glossie, Lindsey Calla helps nine women get a fresh start for spring with tips on how to wear even the trickiest items in their closet.
Fine Lines2 of 10
Style Stumper: "I've had so many images of me walking to brunch in this brown-and-white-striped skirt but I can never find a top or shoe that works without feeling too matchy." —Briana H.
Style Solution: "Bold stripes are super on-trend this season," says Calla, citing Marc Jacobs' spring collection. "Pair this skirt with a denim button down shirt and wedges for a casual look, or try a graphic tee and ankle booties for an edgier vibe."
In Bloom3 of 10
Style Stumper: "I feel like this floral skirt needs to be paired with something more interesting and less preppy than a white button-down shirt." —Courtney D.
Style Rx: "I'm a big fan of mixing patterns with florals," says Calla. "Try adding in a print—like a stripe in a classic neutral—to add more interest and depth to the outfit." Add a chunky statement necklace for more eye-catching appeal.
Gold Rush4 of 10
Style Stumper: "I want to wear these shorts, but feel like they are too teenager-y." —Natasha B.
Style Rx "The more polish you can add to this look, the better," says Calla. She suggests pairing these gilded bottoms with a crisp button-down shirt, neutral silk henley, or a simple tee and a blazer paired with ladylike peep-toe pumps.
Frill Seeker5 of 10
Style Stumper: "I loved this ruffled top in the store, but can’t figure out how to wear it without feeling too girlie." —Kelly M.
Style Rx: "I would totally edge this out and rock it with a cute leather miniskirt," says Calla. "For spring, try keeping the top open as a jacket over a gray tee and black skinny jeans—a boyfriend jean also makes a great juxtaposition with a pair of killer stilettos!"
Wild Thing6 of 10
Style Stumper: "My mother gave me this dress from her closet years ago. Once a year—OK, once every other year—when I'm feeling very bold, it'll make its appearance." —Megan M.
Style Rx "Layering a chunky knit over this look with the bottom peeking out sort of like a skirt can transform this dress and make it more wearable on an everyday basis,” says Calla.
Wrap It Up7 of 10
Style Stumper: "I liked that this pink-and-orange print was different from my other solid-colored scarfs, but months later I've still never worn it." —Jennifer P.
Style Rx: "An abstract print looks great when mixed with other prints (say, stripes or florals) in a similar color family," says Calla. Let it peek out from underneath a khaki trench coat to give you a burst of color around your face, then let the colors in the scarf guide your other accessories.
Top Form8 of 10
Style Stumper: "This shirt doesn't feel work appropriate without a sweater, but the boxy shape doesn't look flattering under a cardigan." —Laura B.
Style Rx: "Try a high-waist skirt—maybe a pencil or A-line—and swap out the cardigan for something more structured, like a tailored jacket," says Calla.
Code Red9 of 10
Style Stumper: "This suede skirt has been sitting in my closet for five years. I'd love to know what items work with this piece and how to transition it into spring." —Laura C.
Style Rx: "Red looks sophisticated paired with gray or camel accents," says Calla. "Or try color-blocking, using tops that have similar saturation of color and brightness." Pair it with a pump or thick strappy sandals for warmer weather.
Heavy Metal10 of 10
Style Stumper: "I love this jacket, but I'm not sure how to soften the look to make it less scary."—Charlotte B.
Style Rx: "Something tailored on the bottom, like a great pair of shorts or a flirty skirt, will balance out the heavy feel of the jacket and bring it right into spring," says Calla. "Look for soft fabrics, like chiffon or silk, and add in feminine prints, like florals or polka dots."